Orange and Chocolate Cake
The hot weather has arrived not only to our shops, but also to my house! I always bake for my family and now that everyone is back for the summer, I needed to come up with an easy and quick cake recipe I could make every two days… I’m sure you understand if you have three ‘boys’ in the house and two girlfriends! The cake will only take you 10 minutes to prepare and about 50 minutes in the oven - the perfect time to sneak in your favourite TV show or check your emails! Also, if you don’t have a mixer… stop reading here - it will take too long!
- 6oz of butter
- 6oz of sugar
- 4oz of wholemeal spelt flour
- 3 large eggs
- 2oz of almond flour or ground almonds
- 2 satsumas/ whole oranges with the skin on
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- 100g of milk chocolate chips
- Cut the oranges into quarters with the skin on and whiz them up in the mixer. This will liquidise the oranges and leave small skin bits that add to the flavour.
- Add the butter, sugar, eggs, flour and teaspoon of baking powder to the mixer and mix until all ingredients are combined.
- Add a bag of chocolate chips (bag can be as small or as big as you want it to be!) I always add around 100g because I LOVE CHOCOLATE! Whiz in the mixer for one second only!
- Pour the cake mix into a prepared papered springform cake tin.
- I always like to add casting sugar on top to create a bit of a crunchy top! Flaked almonds are nice too!
- Preheat oven to 180°C or if like me you have an aga then just pop it in for about 50 minutes. Check it’s fully cooked by inserting a skewer in the centre of the cake. If the skewer is clean-ish then the cake is done! I prefer the cake a bit soft.
There really is no way to go wrong with this recipe and it's also very versatile! You can use bananas or raspberries instead of the oranges (2-3 bananas or 250g of raspberries, then you add them like the chocolate chips at the end - after mixing all the other ingredients. And remember - only whiz for about a second!)
Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as my family does!